Saturday, March 7, 2009
Remembering Moma
Peggy High Smalling
December 13,1929 - March 8, 1986
As I reflect on that tragic day, I remember it was a day much like today. One of the first warm spring days holding the promise of the summer to come. My mom lived in Kentucky where it is much colder than where I live now. I was in Houston then and I remember thinking how happy Moma would be that spring was on the way. Her house was hard to heat and she worried about high heating bills. Plus she loved spring after the long cold winters.
I had talked with her the night before but I knew she was working on Saturday because of the spring time coming. She worked at a farm chemical company. She worked almost every saturday during the spring helping farmers get their fields ready for their crops.
So, I didn't talk with her on that Saturday. I didn't really think much about it. Thinking we would talk on Sunday. But Sunday for her didn't come.
The call with the news about her that came for me late on saturday night was too painful to hear. Almost surreal. It was a very hard loss for me and my sister and many others who loved her. It was so sudden and unexpected. I was 27 with two small children and living in a large unfamiliar city. Joel's strength and the Lord helped me get through this time. And a phone call to my sister every morning for several years. Thanks Lynn for your listening ear when you were hurting too.
It has been 23 years and it still feels like yesterday. She is still around in our hearts and memories. She made lots of memories with us. I am thankful to have had her for my mom if only for a short time.
Sweet Peggy. We still think of you, you are not forgotten
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
what a bitter sweet post! I'm sure you miss her just as much as you did 23 years ago. she must have been a wonderful mother since you learned from her :)
I love you!! :)
can't help but think that i'm 27...only one child but still. i know she would be having fun with allison and bryan!
Yes, bitter sweet is a good description. Thinking of her life. I remember the love and fun. I remember her struggle as a single mom. I remember the sudden ending. My thoughts now turn to fond cherished memories that will last my lifetime. She loved you and Jamie so much. Yes she worried about you all like I worry over Bryan and Allison. LOL Guess I learned that from her.
Yes, she would have been nuts over Allison and Bryan. You know she would be younger than Miriam if she were alive.
Hard to think on all she missed and all we miss without her.
Makes me want to seize the day.
Absolutly Beautiful. She was a very special person in my life, she ans mema were everything to me growing up and helping shape who I am. Mom said I am alot like her, worry, scared of many things. but deep down and when it matters a very strong person. I pray she, mema,pop pee, and Tom can see how this family grows and loves
What a pretty lady. Don't think you have ever shown me a picture of her. You favor her some. It was touching to read about that day. I am thankful that God used your experience to help me through losing Daddy. I guess when we can help and understand others pain it helps to understand what our own pain was for....Ministry! It starts with that and ends with that really....Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
Wow- what a beautiful post. Very scary to think about this happening. We depend on y'all as much as you depended on her. I'm glad you have such wonderful memories to cherish of her!!
I remember that night well! I loved you then and hurt with you and still love you!
Post a Comment